Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Changing Seasons & Tortillas

Today was a wonderful fall day!  (that is if you ignore the strong smell of smoke)

We enjoyed schooling with the garage doors open today (we have 2 double garage doors in our school building, but no windows)!  We loved seeing the trees and blue sky while we schooled, and cannot wait for most of our days to be open door days!!

It is possible, unlikely, but possible that triple digit days are behind us!  Even our chickens are happy!  We have started to get eggs again, after about 3 weeks they took off, due to heat!

We have even turned off the AC the last 2 days!  It really is wonderful to have all the windows open, and breezes blowing!!


So, for dinner we enjoyed some homemade tamales, Spanish rice and homemade tortillas!  I have been making these for a few weeks now.  The first 2 attempts were enough for me to almost give up.  Then I found a “pin” on Pinterest and I was hooked.  I followed up on this glorious picture of homemade tortillas and the result was fabulous!

 

Fresh, Homemade Flour Tortillas in No Time Flat

So, if you are at all interested in making your own tortillas that are out of the world try these!!  Check out Food Wishes for the video and recipe.

Here is the recipe I use from the above mentioned blog

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup butter

1 cup hot water (about 105 degrees F.)

Mix flour, salt and baking powder

Cut butter into flour mixture.  Then, make a empty whole in the middle and pour in the hot water.  Mix with a  fork until it comes together.  Then dump & knead for 3-4 minutes.  Then cover with a bowl and let sit about 30 minutes.

Divide into 16 equal portions and then press or roll. 

I follow Food Wishes’s suggestion to cook 1 minute per side and flip 2 times.  This makes a mighty fine tortilla!!

This makes about 16 tortillas for my gang – and we eat all of them!!

I do have a tortilla press like the guy on Food Wishes.  I also roll mine out though, if you only use the press, they are pretty thick.  We like them a bit thinner, so after I press them I roll them out a bit thinner.

On the video he will tell you to knead for 3-4 minutes – this is important – if you cut it shorter they are not as tender.  So, I time myself.

Let me know if you try them out – we love them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...