Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Do you know what you are eating?

I did not plan to get on my soap box about food, but I think I must.  I am not plagued by food guilt this week like last (I was plagued by lots of stuff last week, food was only one of the things).

But after you learn so much, like a lifetime of learning in a few days, you cannot help but think about it – A LOT.

So this is the article that has pushed me over the cliff of restraint :

The Worst Healthy Foods in America

It all started so innocently.  We watched Food Inc after a friend posted a link on Facebook about it being on PBS. 

And my life will never be the same again.  Here is a snippet for your viewing pleasure

So I think we are done buying hormone infested meat, eggs, dairy products, and processed food.

 

So this saga continues with the movie King Corn – Robert watched that movie this week and that just pushed us even further away from grocery store items.  Do you know how much corn we consume?   Here is another snippet on this subject…

 

 

 

So where do you go once you learn all this stuff?  Where do you shop?  What do you buy? 

A couple years ago I was an “organic” skeptic – I only bought organic veggies because I was in an organic co-op and I realized it kept me out of the Big W – and therefore saved me money.  Now the only apples or potatoes we buy are organic (because that is all the farmers eat!)  The genetic engineering starts at the seed level for many food items and those are 2 big ones.

So now I am on a quest to buy some grass fed beef.  Do you have any idea how much that costs – not even factoring in the shipping??  A LOT!!  But you know what?  We will not waste one single ounce.  I think our family is going to start eating like they did in the 50’s and 60’s – less meat – less of lots of things. 

I know I waste way too much food.  But when it becomes a commodity – when we are really paying for something good it will not go to waste.  Kind of like my organic apples, they never go bad – we eat every one before it has a chance to go bad.  I do not have that attitude for very much in my pantry.  I mean, if I do not get to some item in time – oh well, I can get some more.  Not any longer. 

I am not going to go into details, but if you do not know what I am talking about you should find out.  Trust me.  We are a modest family, single income, 4 kids.  We cannot afford to just buy only the best – but we will find a way.  I am not going to continue letting my kids eat stuff that is plain bad for them.

Before I close, I will say that I know that God is sovereign, I know he reigns and we are his.  I cannot add a day to my life or my kids through our diet.  I know this food crisis is no surprise to him.  But I know it is my job to do the best I can with what I have.  That includes how I manage my money, how I serve our family (what I cook and buy) and how I honor this temple (my body) by how I treat it and what I put in it.  I am not a slave to the food I eat.  But I want to eat the best I can for my health and the health of my children!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...