Thursday, March 10, 2011

cheeseburger soup & friends

I have no pictures, but trust me when I say that fun was had!!

We had 5 families at the house with 7 adults and 14 kids yesterday!  The kids ran around and honestly I rarely even saw them!

One young boy thought the school building was the perfect “man-Cave” if only we had a tv out there!  Funny!  My boys were clueless what he was talking about, but Robert got a good chuckle out of it!

There was some foosball playing, air hockey playing, trampoline jumping, and woods exploring too!

We had little ones fascinated with all the animals (and I think I may be his new friend since I let him touch a few) and we had older ones leading the play around the place!

I hope we make this is a more regular get-together on Wednesday nights.  We all headed to church after we enjoyed a quick supper of Cheeseburger soup and rolls!  We finished everything off with some pudding, yummy cupcakes and wonderful fruit!!

Here is my cheeseburger soup recipe (note: Robert thinks this soup is  a waster –despite his 2 bowls – and thinks you should not ruin a perfectly good cheeseburger to make soup – HE IS WRONG!)

(this fed all the people listed above, barely fit in the crockpot & no leftovers – so adjust accordingly)

Cheeseburger Soup

3-4 lb ground beef – I made burgers and grilled them and then chopped them

4 cups homemade chicken broth

4 cups instant chicken broth

3/4 cup water

1/4 flour

1 onion (diced)

4-5 little potatoes (peeled & diced)

5-6 small orange peppers (diced)

2 T minced garlic

2 cup half and half

24 oz velveeta cheese

1.  I grilled my burgers – I made them like I would make normal burgers.  But, you can just brown your ground beef and add.

2.  I sautéed my onions and peppers with the garlic.  Then added my broth and potatoes, brought to a simmer and then added my meat.  Let that cook about 20 minutes.  I mixed the 1/4 flour with the 3/4 water in a small jar – then I added this to the pot and brought it back to a boil – this was just to thicken it.  You can skip this if you want it thinner.

3.  cut up velveeta into small squares.

4.  Moved everything to the crock pot once the potatoes were almost tender.

5.  I then added the velveeta.  I cooked it about 3 hours on high – I wanted to get it warm.  You could probably do low – I did notice it was not pretty – the cheese melted but separated a bit – so low may stop that from happening.

6.  I added the 1/2 and 1/2 about an hour before we ate – to let it warm up.

7.  I think most of the kids enjoyed it – the parents did!  My kids had seconds – they like it!

8.  Finish it off with some wonderful Oreo cupcakes and pudding and you will have had a successful meal!!

Enjoy!

9.  Optional – last time we did add shredded lettuce to it – and we like it – this time I skipped it.  I saw it on Triple D (Diners Drive-in's, and Dives) and that is what they did.  Just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...