Thursday, January 7, 2010

meeting with Him

First, fun with friends & guns... what could be better?





And then a little girl with an umbrella..


Just another day in our home!!



It always seems to amaze me when God blesses me when I least expect it. I am so hoping 2010 will be a year immersed in scripture, living and breathing his words to me. Every where I turn this week re-enforces that calling on my heart. Nancy Leigh DeMoss was replaying some sessions of a lady, also named Nancy, who spoke about memorizing scripture and all the good is does for us, for one it causes us to think on him every time we think of the verse we are trying to seal in our minds. And every time I think of him I think it strengthens his hold on my heart, it draws me further into this intimate relationship with him, and that is precious!


But last night I made it to church with the kids. I was ready to see adults and to hear our pastor speak and for the kids to see friends. I expected to catch up with my friend Alicia while the kids did their post-choir thing with Team-Kid. She had other plans though, and I gently asked if I could "tag-along" to her Bible study prep with another friend of hers. She graciously allowed me to join them, and it was such a blessing to me.



The study is on Proverbs 31, and yes I voluntarily asked if I could come along to a Proverbs 31 study - sound like a glutton for punishment don't I? Well it was just wonderful. First, my dear friend is a gifted teacher, but wow - she did an amazing job with this study! She referenced scripture I have never seen linked with Proverbs 31 - it was great. Not only that, but the conversation I had earlier in my day with Kristen was on the topics she focused on in her study. She had some great verses to back up what I was talking about with Kristen and it was just so sweet. I felt like God really put it all together leading up to Wednesday night. So sweet!

Here is a great recipe to share too - we ate this this week (from the freezer) my friend Sidne made it for a recent meal swap I participated in. This is wonderful!!

MEXICAN-STYLE PENNE
8oz Penne (or whatever pasta you have on hand. Bowties are nice, too.)
8oz lean Ground Beef (venison or shredded beef work well, too.)
½ tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 15.5oz can Pinto Beans
1 15.5oz can Whole Kernel Corn
1 15.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes
1 small Diced Green Bell Pepper (optional)
½ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
½ Cup Sliced Green Onions (optional)
1 Cup Sour Cream (low fat works great)
½ Cup Salsa
½ Cup Broken Tortilla Chips (optional)

Prepare pasta according to package directions. If you will be freezing this meal, cook pasta only ½ done.

In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain. Add beans, cumin and chili powder; heat through. In a large bowl, combine pasta, meat mixture, tomatoes and corn. Pour into a gallon sized zip-lock freezer bag. Measure and package in individual, snack-sized zip-locks, the green pepper, cheese, onions and salsa. Place these inside the gallon-sized bag with your meal; press the filled, gallon-sized bag flat, squeezing out as much air as possible. FREEZE YOUR MEAL (WITH THE EXTRAS) AT THIS POINT. You will need to provide only the chips and sour cream on serving day.

Preparing this meal from the freezer
Cooking Instructions: You will need the following on cooking day (not included): 1 Cup Sour Cream, ½ Cup Broken Tortilla Chips (Optional), ½ Cup Sliced Green Onions (Optional.)
Thaw package overnight in the refrigerator. Remove Salsa and Cheese packets; rinse off and set aside. Place remaining mixture in a large skillet; heat, stirring often, until heated through. (Check pasta for doneness part way through; if needed, add a bit of water.) Remove from heat. In a small bowl, mix the sour cream, salsa and green pepper; fold into the skillet mixture. Serve topped with cheese, broken tortilla chips and green onions.
I like to serve this with a side spinach salad, tossed with 1 clove pressed garlic, ½ cup rice wine vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil.

Per serving: 353 calories, 11g fat, 17g protein, 48g carbohydrates, 7g dietary fiber, 31mg cholesterol, 503mg sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...