Thursday, August 5, 2010

quiet

water at the point

 

boys by water

It is so quiet here.  My boys seem to be so loud compared to the peace of Maine.  I am not sure it is this quiet everywhere in Maine, in fact I am certain it is not.  But here, on the edge of this tiny town, with the water lapping the rocks nearby, it is.

It is quiet enough to hear your own thoughts.  Today, that is a task for me, to hear my own thoughts.  The world drowns out my thoughts, I am going at a pace that rarely allows me to really think, to think about what I am thinking about.  I feel like I never get the chance to plan ahead, I am instead reacting far too often.

 grammie and kids

 JB taking pics

 kids on rocks

Last night I was able to read a few pages in a book by Growing Kids God’s Way – it is about the middle years (ages 8-12).  We currently have 2 in the middle years and I have yet to read through this particular book, and I realize I am already behind.  I should have read it at least 18 months ago before we were already smack-dab in the middle of it.

So as I read over the introduction and a few quizzes I realized my boys are really very good.  They usually do so many things right, and yet, they are still boys and there are so many ways for me to continue to help coach them into becoming great adults.

I am thankful to have some quiet moments up here to sit and really reflect on who I want to be right now, and who I want to be in 6-12 months – as a mom, as a wife, as a child of God.  I want to take this time to redirect myself to get back on track.  Back to who I want to be and not just who the world is influencing me to be.

 papa ag and ed papa and ag

Papa and PJ

The quiet is good.  Too often it is disturbed by outside noises that fill our ears – but here I get to savor the quiet.  I hear the chipmunks chattering nearby, the Osprey across the water talking to each other, the sea gulls announcing themselves.  I love the sound of the wind blowing through the trees – you can hear that almost all the time, and feel the cool breeze come up from off the water.

 pj on hill rocks and sea weed

sea weed

   

 

Simply put, I love Maine.  I love what it does for my soul.  I love that I find the time up here to get back to where I want to be and look ahead to plan where I hope to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...