Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Discipleship {Part I}

What does discipleship really look like? 

How do we “do” it? 

To whom do we disciple?

Those are a few of the questions bouncing around in my head these days. 

 

While reading Radical, and listening to David Platt talk about what it means, how Jesus did it, and how we are called not only to go and tell, but to make disciples, I am chewing on how that looks in my life. 

First, I think I am called to disciple my children.  Why?  Well, before this week I could not specifically tell you, but while I was reading Titus 1:5-9 I read why I am called to do this.

For this reason I left you in Crete, that you would set in order what remains and appoint elders in every city as I directed you, 6 namely, if any man is above reproach, the husband of one wife, having children who believe, not accused of dissipation or rebellion.

Paul tells us in Titus that to be a leader in the church you must have only 1 wife, and children who are believers and not rebellious.  Why would he say this?  Because if you do not have your own house in order, how in the world are you going to tell someone else how to get theirs in order?

Now, first let me admit, our house is by no means “in order” other than we are disciple our children daily, hourly, and by the minute.  We do not have it all figured out, and I hardly believe that anything we did led to the salvation of our children.  Sure, we  took them to church,w e prayed with them, and we live this thing call Christianity – we live it daily, but we sin all the time.  So, when I read what Paul is telling us, I do not think you have to “get it all together” before you go and tell.  But if you are living a life according to the Word, your house will naturally be in order.  You do not have to “work” at it, add it to your to-do list.  Do you wake up and think, “oh yeah, I have to remember to breathe today?”  No.  I do not wake up and think, boy I have to show Jesus to my kids today.  I do not add to my to-do list, pray with the kids, talk about all that God gave us, be thankful in front of them.  It is simply who we are.

Okay, back to my first point.  I think we need to be discipling those kids because :

1. God gave them to US

2.  Because we can do it without thinking about it or working at it – they live with us, for goodness sake & watch all we do

3.  They will forgive us if we drop the ball and do not do it too well

4.  If we mess up today, we get a do-over tomorrow, and the next day, and the – well you get it

So, why is it that so many of us would rather get on a plane, fly to strangers and tell them the good news, instead of sitting down with our kids and living it?  I am not sure.

I know God created us all to be different parts of one body.  But I do believe we are all commanded to go and tell – and we are all commanded to make disciples. 

Well, as I keep chewing on this, I thought I would share how we are currently living this out in our {perfectly} IMPERFECT home. 

Scripture Study~

~ We are in the Bible daily.  The older kids and Robert and I are finishing up our Read through the Bible in a year – the boys are going to finish the New Testament, Psalms and Proverbs.  Robert and I – the whole shebang.  What a sweet blessing to say that we did it – not prideful mind you, just amazingly in awe.  And for my boys to be in the Word each day – an even greater blessing!!

scripturememory box

~ Next, we memorize scripture.  We have our Memory Box on the table and review those verses (almost) daily.  They are getting more and more down – sweet, life-giving words!!

 

My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little Hearts

~ My A B C Bible verses – I have had this book for years.  I love it, but had not cracked it open in quite a while.  I got it out though after listening to the Wolgemuth’s talk on Family Talk recently to listen click HERE for Part I and HERE for Part II.

   Now, we are working through this book and getting 26 more verses into our hearts (mine and theirs).  They are simple verses, many of which we know, but getting the verse with the reference down it still good practice.

~ Finally, we are praying together daily, not just at meals either.  We pray at 10am sometimes together (my phone is set to alarm at 10am – I pray, right now for patience and kindness with my kids) but we always pray when we start school.  We use a Prayer Calendar (Download : Boys / Girls) when we remember to, otherwise we just pray for what we are learning and dealing with.

 

So, we certainly do not have it figured out.  I am sure my kids will seek out a couch on which to vent their troubles to a sympathetic ear, when they reach adulthood, but we are sure trying our best to instill God into their young hearts.  I love that I hear them singing songs from our Hymn Study, Bible Drill at church, or from Sunday worship as they go about their days.  I love to hear them remind each other words from scripture they have memorized.  They are not perfect, but they are sure trying to live their lives like they know to.

We are not perfect people, but as imperfect vessels we have taken up the banner of discipleship and it has started right here in our home. 

{Come back next Tuesday for Discipleship Part II}

1 comment:

  1. great post Janelle! I would love to know more about your scripture memory box and how you organize it!!:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...