Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sugar-less Eating

Well, we are a week (plus a few days) into the sugar free living.  So far, this week has been much better than last.  I still would love to have some sugar, but I am no longer craving it.

So a few successes we have had, for dessert tonight I made a frozen treat that we all enjoyed.  I used frozen bananas, almond milk, ice, natural (sugar free) peanut butter, and some stevia chocolate flavoring.  It was really yummy!

waffle mix

On Saturday night I whipped up Blender waffles from Passionate Homemaking.  I was really not sure what expect with these, but it was worth a try for me.  I also and not the one who makes waffles, so the recipe was new and the use of the waffle iron was new.  The kids loved them, and everyone requested seconds.  We had maple syrup on them, so we still avoided all processed sugar.

 

waffle cooked

 

On Monday we went to watch some football game at our sweet friends’ house and I was not sure what to bring.  I knew I wanted to bring something Robert and I could eat, so after much debate, I decided on Granola.  I used my favorite recipe and make a bowl to take with me.  It looed like many of my friends really liked it.  There are many of my friends trying to eat healthy even if they are not cutting out the sugar – so it was great to bring that along.  (My granola recipe is below)

I started this plan with a goal of going sugar free for 2 weeks and hoping to make it 4. I have found the secret for success for me is having some good items in the fridge. Hummus and tortilla chips is a life saver when all the crackers have sugar. And oil and vinegar on the salad will do when EVERY bottle of dressing has sugar. (well except for the Blue Cheese which I would not eat)

My friend Jennifer dragged me to whole foods last week to get some stevia and I also bought some wonderful peanut butter and that stevia flavoring. I cannot wait to get back up there for a few more things, but until then I think we are finding this sugar-free living not so bad.


Granola

Ingredients:

1 T vanilla

1 tsp  almond

8 cups oats

2 cups puffed rice

1.5 cups sunflower seeds

1 cup flax seed ground up

1 cup oat bran

1 cup pecans chopped

1 cup craisins (optional, I left these out this time, as they have sugar)

1 cup raisins

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/4 cup maple syrup

3/4 cup honey

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup coconut oil

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

 

Directions:

1.Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment or aluminum foil.

2.Combine the oats, wheat germ, oat bran, sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans, and walnuts in a large bowl. Stir together the salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, oil, cinnamon, and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then pour over the dry ingredients, and stir to coat. Spread the mixture out evenly on the baking sheets.

3.Bake in the preheated oven until crispy and toasted, about 20 minutes. Stir once halfway through. Cool, then stir in the raisins or cranberries before storing in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...