Saturday, January 7, 2012

What’s cookin?

It seems my stove or oven are always on.

As I am not eating sugar right now, I guess I am coping with comfort food.  Today I roasted 2 chickens (we hatched, raised, butchered & plucked – wow!! I am still shocked), cooked Beef bones for soup (see recipe below), and made beef & barley stew.

I have some more beef in the fridge that will be goulash tomorrow – which I cannot wait for!

But let me tell you, if you are into making your own stuff, you NEED to trust me and try making beef broth with soup bones.  I received these last winter when we bought and “processed” a cow.  I had no idea what to do, so I turned to the wonderful world wide web!  I found out that with some time you can make the most amazing broth!!

So here is what I do….

Homemade Beef Broth

thaw your bones (if you need to)

raw soup bones

 

put them in a roasting pan for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.

After 45 min put some onion, celery, carrots – whatever – in with it and roast another 45 min.

half way with veggies

Then dump everything in a pot and cover with water, I usually cover about 2-3 inches above bones. 

all together in pot

Simmer for about 2 hours – with lid off a bit to steam.

Next, strain the stuff out from the broth.  Then if you can, let sit overnight in your fridge.  (If you let it sit overnight the flavors develop more and then you can skim the fat off in the morning.)

This will result in super healthy homemade, low sodium beef broth.  And the Beef and Barley stew it goes into will knock your socks off!!  As will whatever you make.

I do think you can get soup bones from the grocery store – if you cannot find them ask the butcher – I suspect they are cheap.  They are worth every minute you spend doing this!  But know that it takes hours to get great broth – do not rush it.  Just plan to be in the house and doing other stuff!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...