Saturday, July 3, 2010

this and that

I have been hiding out from my blog lately – not entirely sure why. 

Things have not been going quite the way I would have planned.  It has made me re-think “my plans” and I am still not sure why it is all happening this way but it is.

Why is it that I struggle when things do not fall into place the way I would prefer?  I guess I think it is a control issue – I want to control the details of my life.  What is so crazy about that is that after 2009 you would think I know better than to control those details.  So I am trying to remind myself that I do not need to be in control, and finding peace in not knowing.

So, in the midst of the chaos I am trying to find peace.  A few of my favorite sources of peace this week have been homemade peach jam with peaches from the Cooper Farm (just south of Corsicana), coconut granola (a new family favorite) and some sewing projects completed too! 

Here is my recipe for granola that I have made 3 times now, it is very versatile.

Almond Coconut Granola w/Cranberries

8 c oats (not quick oats but regular)

1 c oat bran

1/2 c flax meal

3/4 c chopped almonds

1/4 c coconut oil

1/4 c maple syrup

1/4 agave nectar

1/2  honey

2 T coconut oil

1 t vanilla

1/2 tsp almond extract

1 c dried cranberries

1. Heat oil in large pan over medium heat.  Add oats and stir until starting to brown and crisp.  This usually takes 10-15 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile heat oven to 350.

3.  At the same time heat the honey, agave and maple syrup in sauce pan add 2 T oil.  Mix well.

4.  Once oats are toasted pour add cranberries, flax meal and oat bran and stir to mix.  Pour heated sweetener over toasted oat.  Mix very well.

5.  Pour entire mixture onto large baking pan (I use a jelly roll stone, and a deep dish baker).

6.  Put in oven, turn oven off and leave overnight.

7.  In the morning I store the granola in a very large ziplock bag.

 

flag

This weekend will be good for our family too.  We are going to have Dad home for 3 days – and he is already on a normal sleep cycle so that helps!  We are going to try to get out to a local parade tomorrow to celebrate the 4th of July – then we are going to get together with friends on Monday for a picnic and some swimming!  Then, Monday night we get to host my Uncle Ed and Aunt Wren and their dear friends for supper! 

We are not going house hunt, working on any other house offers, or even worrying about this upcoming move. 

So today we had a great time at the parade, then we went out to meet Robert’s brother and his family to drop off some packing paper and to have lunch with them.  After that we sought out some new jeans for Robert for work and eventually made it home.  It was a busy day, but a good one. 

It was great to see all the patriotism displayed this morning at the parade – has made me think about all our friends still serving near and far.  We are so thankful for those who are serving – and for all the sacrifices they are making!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...