Thursday, July 2, 2009

Endurance and Perseverance

Today was one of those days. You know the kind. From the start things just go wrong. When the ball dropped on my day and I needed to talk to someone sane and level headed I called Kristen – my dear friend and mother of 4 (all 4 and under). She is away at a retreat center with her family. I was worried I was interrupting, but would you believe that she has been going to seminars all week and many very relevant to the words I needed to hear. So many great things she shared with me. I really felt like God was blessing me with her insight from afar, almost like I was getting the wisdom from those speakers and I was not even there. I really felt a peace come over me as she was sharing.

One of which was something her pastor has preached on. He said that when we get to heaven he thinks we will be surprised by how many things were spiritual warfare in our lives and we did not know it. I thought how true that probably is.

She also reminded me that Satan does not want Robert and I growing closer to him during this time of trial and that he has a big target on our backs right now. You know I knew this would happen. And I was prepared, just not this week. Not today. I mean many weeks ago I was watching out for pitfalls (with regard to our relationship and marriage) that were in our vicinity. But not now. I have taken my eyes off the road – I have relaxed my vigilance of prayer for specific needs and just in general.

What does all this mean? I am not sure. I just know that God is leading us to a place where we trust ultimately and completely in him and only him. Not in ourselves, not in our home, not in our bank account, but in him and him alone. I would say not even in our marriage, unless we are trusting in our marriage through the goodness of God. I knew God has made me release the grip I had on my life in many areas but I know now I need to let go even more.

And I was also reminded that if we are not in the word, in prayer and talking with other believers we are weaker. It is not something you can store up for the winter. It is more like Manna - you can only get enough for today and that is why it is a daily quiet time. I have let that slide too much too. I need to be spending time alone and in depth with my creator daily!

The other point I learned again today deals with endurance.

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4

You know we can do just about anything for a short period of time. I mean unemployment was really fun for the first 6 weeks – and it is still fun, but man this is when it is going to start to get hard I think. We are called to run with endurance and finish strong. We are not called to win. We are not called to acquire as much as possible along the way. We are simply called to run, run well, and finish. I pray that we will finish this race (more like a marathon) we are one and finish strong. I trust that God

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:1-3

So we are still racing, I pray that we will persevere and that we will endure. God is good even when times are tough and we are faced with doubts, disappointment, and discouragement. I am clinging to that fact.
God is good all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...