Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wacky Wednesday...

That is what I feel like! Just being crazy, no theme on this post but a lot of what is in my mind right now...
First, oh my goodness if you craft with your kids at all check out THIS and look at her July 26th, 27th, and 28th - just love it! I am about to figure out how to start this project like yesterday.... can't wait!!

Next, I am reading a wonderful book that I just have to share. A dear friend told me about it and it is speaking to my heart like few books have.... just wonderful! It is Gift From the Sea by Anna Morrow Lindbergh. Is the fact that I have spent more time near the sea this year than I usually do the only reason I love it? No. I love it because Anne is amazing and she speaks to my soul!
On with my wacky - random stream of thoughts....

Here is progress on the deck Robert and his dad are building....

Here are some pics of butter making, jelly and fun times!

Blueberries cooking to make the jam....


Here is the finished Blueberry jam


Here are the peppers cooking down for Hot Pepper Jelly (many came from The Cole garden here at my in-laws)
Here is thejelly in the hot water bath....

Here is the princess shaking her milk to make butter...

Here are the boys shaking their milk...

And our butter....the kids loved it! Okay, so I went to an Estate Sale this week on the way to the post office. Just saw the sign and thought I should take a peak. I have never felt so sad while shopping. It was obvious the woman who lived in this little 3 bedroom house had passed away. Her son and daughter (or something like that) were selling all of her possessions. Her collections of spoons, designer plates, and just about everything else. I was so sad to walk through her house like a friend would, gazing at her valued possession, but yet a stranger. I felt sad that she was not there anymore to enjoy her things. Her house was also for sale. They were not keeping much as a memory of this woman in their lives. I know, I do not know the story behind it all. But man, it made me think.

Like, what will happen when I go. Will my children just open my house and let strangers come in to my privacy and haggle over items with the winner getting my treasured collections? But more importantly, does it matter? I mean, we shine those spoons, look at them and remember where we bought them, who we were with, and smile. But God's word tells us that the only treasure we should spend our time on is treasures in Heaven

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. Matthew 6:20

And then

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

So while I think it is okay to acquire nice things, we should hold them loosely and know that they will not be with us forever, that we cannot take them with us. That when we are gone their value drops a great deal because most do not value those treasures like we did.

So it was sobering to walk through this home. To see these posses ions being sold to the highest bidder, or really the only one bidding. It was sad, but it was reality. It is what happens and maybe God allowed me to walk through that house and feel those emotions to remind me stuff is stuff, it is not of near the value we place on it. Instead spend my time and energy on things that will not rust away, on the lives of my children, on my husband and our family, on my friends, and on those who do not know our great and loving Savior.

As Nicole Noredman sings...

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such
Will soon enough destroy.

I want to leave a legacy

Well, there is a random stream of consciousness for one day. The sun is shining in our world, the job market seems to st ll be active, the housing market is getting more active. We are looking forward to seeing how God is going to bless us - as he has so much already!

Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...