Monday, December 7, 2009

Applesauce Ornaments

Well, I promised I would never make these again! I made them in 2002 the last time they worked, and we still have them. But, I am not a cookie cutter person. Sure, I have plenty, but I really do not like to use them.


Today I ventured out of my comfort zone and we made them again. This time I followed Lisa Whelchel's recipe in the book The ADVENTure of Christmas, one of my favorites for Christmas ideas.

Here is the recipe if you are interested in trying it in your home:

1 cup ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons white craft glue
Food Coloring (optional)
a few tablespoons of all-purpose flour

1. combine the cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl
2. Add applesauce and glue
3. Work everything together with your hands
4. If desired, divide into portions and mix a few drops of food coloring into each.
5. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to approx 1/4 inch thickness
6. Cut dough with cookie cutters into various shapes
7. Bore a hole in the top of each ornament (a drinking straw works well for this)
8. Lay ornaments out to dry - I baked mine at 200 degrees for about 1-2 hours.

We made 2 batches, one (first) was mine that I made and have ornaments I want to give away. The other (second) the kids made entirely themselves and we can hang those on our tree!

It was a fun afternoon activity - the kids love to play in the kitchen and they love to do crafts so this was perfect!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...