Tuesday, October 5, 2010

where is the focus of your worship?

This week at Bible Study we listened to Priscilla Shirer speak about how our GOD is ABLE.  She did such a great job of using illustrations from her lift to demonstrate how God is able to do far more than we ever expect him to do.    She is using a verse in Ephesians to demonstrate just how ABLE God is.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Eph 3:20-21

 

But so often in the day to day, in the details, in the moments in an hour, we forget.  We forget how ABLE our God is.  We forget the promises he lays before us, and the blessings he wants to pour down on us.  We forget to live like we serve a victorious God and not a defeated one. 

And in those moments that we forget, we can sometimes start to worship our problems, instead of the God who can help us through those problems.  We dwell on the yucky stuff instead of asking why God has allowed that in our lives and living like it might be there for a reason.  The reason might be ME. 

Maybe my children are challenging my patience more these days because my patience muscle is weak!  Maybe  the problem is not my kids acting up, but it is really ME.  I need to get my focus off of my problems and turn to the ONE who can give me the patience I cannot find, the grace I do not have, and the strength I need to navigate those same problems.

So I have to ask myself in the moments of my day, after a morning of time with Him, why do I so quickly take the focus of my worship off a worthy God and put it onto my unworthy problems?  Why do I never fail to return to my sinful roots when trials rear their ugly heads?

These next days, and hopefully weeks, I plan to look my problem (aka : issue, trail, whatever) in the face and look for what God could be trying to teach me in the midst of it all.  And I hope to turn back to a heart of gratitude while I am at it.  I have more things to be grateful for these days, than I can count, and yet I can still get frustrated, envious, and many other things despite all the blessings pouring down on my family right now.  So I am going to try to focus my heart on the things that really matter.  On a God who so deserves ALL I can offer him, and more!

So, where is your worship?

1 comment:

  1. Amen, sister! awesome devotion. it's so easy to forget our faith in the midst of our daily woes. yet, it's so easy to SHIFT our focus to God and wipe the woes away. it's a choice we have to consciously make! you're absolutely right... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...