Saturday, October 22, 2011

Recipes

Tonight we enjoyed a meal that I hated as a kid!  I covered it with ketchup to get through it!  My how my tastes have changed!! 

But, honestly, about 9 years ago I had a hankering for these!  I tried to find the recipe, to no avail.  But lately, I have once again wanted them!

Salmon Patties

  • 1 (14.75 ounce) can salmon
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2/3 cup cracker crumbs
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
  • 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil (for sautéing)

I drained the salmon, checked it for bones, then mixed everything together.

Then, in a cast iron skillet I fried in a bit of olive oil.

They were so good!  My kids all ate 2!!  {Note : I doubled everything since there are 6 of us & there were none left over!!}

It was not the cheapest meal I have made, but it was different and everyone enjoyed it, so we will make it again!!

I also wanted to share the Sante Fe Chicken Soup I made this last week.

My dear friend Kim served this to a group of girls when we crashed at her house before the Beth Moore simulcast a few weeks ago.  It was so good, and it was out of the crock pot – I knew I needed it!!

So, I made it first to serve over rice.  I cooked it up in the crock pot.  Then, since I doubled it, we had it again in homemade tortillas as a sort of chicken taco/burrito.  It was wonderful both nights!!

I did tweak Kim’s recipe to stretch it, make it cheaper and healthier.  I could not tell I made any changes, and this recipe lends itself to tweaking.  A can of rotel would be yummy in it, or just about anything Mexican-ish!!

Sante Fe Chicken

2 Tbsp. homemade  taco seasoning

2 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed & drained

2 lb frozen corn

2 (4oz) cans of green chilis ( we used one that was HOT)

2 cup salsa

5-6 boneless chicken breasts, can be frozen

2 (8 oz) cream cheese, cubed (one fat free, and one 1/3 less fat)

1 cup shredded cheese (can be Mexican blend) (we forgot the first night and did not miss it)

In crockpot, mix beans, corn, taco seasoning salsa. Top with chicken breasts, then pour remaining salsa over chicken. Cover & cook on high for 3-5 hours, or until chicken is done. Do not overcook. Remove chicken & cut into bite size pieces – we shredded it. Add back to crockpot. Add cream cheese. Heat until melted & well blended. Serve over rice or in tortillas. Top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...