Sunday, March 11, 2012

Book review : Love’s Sacred Song

As I read the last page of my latest read, I smiled.  It was a delightful read.  It inspired me in ways that I can hardly explain.   This is a love story, but it is so much more than just that.

The book?

image

Love’s Sacred Song by Mesu Andrews

As I was thoroughly captivated while I read this book, in the back of my mind I constantly wondered how much was accurate and historical.  I wish that I had read the notes at the end before I started, so that I would not have wondered.  The answer  Ms. Andrews said is “As much as possible!”  This was not a passing fancy, this subject of Solomon and his beloved bride, in fact, it took twelve years of dedication and research to produce this wonderfully written novel.  Yes, it is still a novel.  We do not know the actual words spoken between the characters, but Ms. Andrews has ensured that the words she wrote were biblically, and historically accurate.

I was utterly captivated by this book.  The characters leapt off the page and into my heart.  Solomon was a man who loved his father, loved God, and was torn between those loves and ruling his country.  Arielah was an amazing young woman, born to marry Solomon, but the love she offered him was something he never experienced before her.

I have never been a real fan of the book of Song of Solomon.  I never really understood the Shepherd Prose before now.  I will never read through this book lightly, again.  Each word was thoughtfully chosen for the recipient, with love, tenderness, and intimacy.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.  I have enjoyed some other biblical/historical fiction, however this will forever be a favorite.

Honestly, I feel I much plug another book in this review, The Days of War.  While it is a completely different book, the back ground of the relationship between David and Beniah helped me to fully understand the resulting relationship and loyalty between Solomon and Beniah.  You by no means need to read it to get the full value of Love’s Sacred Song, but it was delightful for me to see the two books compliment each other so much!

NOTE : I was offered a copy of Love’s Sacred Song at no cost, in exchange for and honest review from Revell Publishers.


Here is a bit more info on this book, and about Ms. Andrews.

Love’s Sacred Song

By Mesu Andrews

Mesu Andrews expertly weaves the words of the Song of Solomon into this touching story of the power of love. Readers will be transported from the glowing fields of Shunem to the gleaming city of Jerusalem as they experience this rich and textured novel from a master storyteller.

Standing in the massive shadow of his famous father, young king Solomon wavers between fear and bravado, wisdom and folly. In the uncertain world of alliances and treachery, Solomon longs for peace and a love that is true and pure--a love that can be his cornerstone.

A shepherdess in the northern city of Shunem, Arielah remembers the first time she laid eyes on Solomon in Jerusalem when she was just seven years old. Since then she has known that it was her destiny to become his bride. When her father, a leader of their tribe, secures a promise from King Solomon to marry Arielah as a treaty bride to help unite the kingdom, it seems her dreams may come true.

Mesu Andrews is the author of Love Amid the Ashes and is an active speaker who has devoted herself to passionate and intense study of Scripture. Harnessing her deep understanding and love for God's Word, Andrews brings the biblical world vividly alive for her readers. She lives in Washington.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...