Monday, March 26, 2012

Sleepy {but thankful} Monday

It is quiet here, finally.  I hoped to be in bed by now, but I am enjoying the quiet while I await Robert’s return home. 

After a crazy weekend in Dallas, waiting up late Sunday for kids who were at a concert (2 older boys), and all-around tired – I am just enjoying the sound of the frogs by the pond, the crickets, and the night here in the country.

4 kids in blue bonnets

As I stood outside tonight, after taking out some trash, I had to stop and try to file away the picture  the sun setting behind our pond, the sky holding onto clouds layered along the horizon and the sliver of a moon shining down.  This perfect picture of where we are.  I try to completely savor the life we have right now, while not perfect, it is perfect for us.  We love this place (warts and all), love this land, and love this life.  Yet, I try to remind myself to hold loosely.  Kind of like my kids.  It is not mine.  It is not promised forever, and we never know when God will ask us to go or give.

 

But when we drove in on Saturday night, after a day with family in Dallas, God kind of grabbed my heart.  My youngest boy got out of the car to go in and stopped in awe.  He could not take his eyes off the dark sky – and ALL the many stars up there.  Normally, he is asleep when they all fill the sky, but that night we were getting home late and he took it all in.  I want to hold onto that moment too, just like the one tonight.  I want to remember when he was almost 8, and he stood in awe of God’s work.

As I am starting to think about our homeschool future, creating transcripts for college, learning about picking community college dual credit classes, as the beginning of the planning happens, I want to stop it all.  I want to just stay in this moment, at these ages, with these amazing children – I want to remember this.

Because, tomorrow, they will pack up for college, or walk an isle to wed another, or even head to the hospital for a new arrival.  Tomorrow comes far too fast, and I feel like I cannot hold tight enough and yet, hold loosely.   I  want to remember this, today, tonight – this peace that God has poured out on our family – this unexplainable joy. 

But tonight, in the quiet, I try to etch these moments in my mind.  These many things I add to my list of things to be grateful for …

~ a boy of almost 8 reading the words of the “Snake Kings” – to his sister from the movie Courageous, and their unabashed laughter

~ stopping to see the stars – and to delight in God’s glory

~ getting the green light for Ambleside all the way through high school, in preparation for college

~ talking to Kristen, not once, but 3 times in one day – and no interruptions, and an amazing Florida Plan!!

~ a perfect afternoon with family

6 normal kids and christopher

~ peace that comes from trusting and planning

~ bluebonnets

~ the symphony of sounds in the country

~ children begging for more from Gentle Ben

~ a boy excited about little kids coming to the farm to play – and looking forward to being a blessing

~ more eggs than we can eat

~ Christian Bands that sing to kids – preach the gospel to the sound of rap and rock

~ Getting to walk the journey to faith again – and trusting him with it all

~ Ambleside – YR 5 – cannot wait to get into some of those books, and excited to see my boys blossom next year and really take ownership

~ the garden – everything is coming up – everything is so green – amazing after 2011 and how dry it was!

Hope your Monday was a day of gratitude, beauty and wonderful sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...