Sunday, January 9, 2011

It started with a pick

Have you ever messed with something, again and again – until, well, until you  have to actually do something about it now?

I have.  Now, I am paying for it.

When we first moved in to our house, we made lots of changes.  We redid just about the entire kitchen, we painted all the rooms, we even put down new flooring in the living area.  We knew that we would make some changed in the bathrooms, but not now.  Not even necessarily this year.  But it started with a pick.

 

This is what I started to pick at:

master bath redo 005

master bath redo 007

I picked at a section of wallpaper and tore it off.  Then a few days later I picked again.  Then, again and well, you get the idea.  Before I knew it Robert and I were tearing pieces off in huge sections.  And then decided to commit.

     

I picked at a section of wallpaper and tore it off.  Then a few days later I picked again.  Then, again and well, you get the idea.  Before I knew it Robert and I were tearing pieces off in huge sections.  And then decided to commit.

I pulled all the paper down on Friday and then on Saturday removed all the glue paper.

 master bath redo 006

After getting it all off we realized that we could not just paint it – the walls were a mess.  They were never primed prior to the wallpaper – the wallpaper was put directly on the raw drywall and the removal can be damaging to that drywall.  So, I decided to do another faux finish – this time a bit more subtle than the kitchen.  Today I started with the first layer of the plaster stuff I usually use. 

master bath redo 003

I put up all we have, so now I need to get another box/bucket before I can move forward.

master bath redo 009

 

I tried my hand at spray painting the awful light fixture – just to hold us over until we actually budget some money to get a new one.  Not sure I like it, but it is an improvement.

It started out like this (above)

And ended up like this (without the glass globe thing, I need to put it back on…)

master bath redo 027

Still to come is painting the cabinets – the one that will go back in the bathroom and those under the sink.

This one will go back in the bathroom once I give it a facelift-

master bath redo 004

I think I will paint it then distress it – time will tell….

 

Another great improvement was the addition of 3 bookcases!!  A friend was getting rid of these and I was blessed to get them!

Nothing fancy, but with all our books, having space is very important!!

One will be for the boys Hardy Boys books and their other fun books, the bottom will hold educational fun books – spider books, other bugs, and those fun resource books kids love to read. (still room to spare)

 

master bath redo 023

The next one is over by the toys for the 2 younger ones to put their books on – the top 2 shelves are for ED to store his Magic Tree House books, and the Box Car Children books we have!  Below on the lower shelves AG will store her books that she loves to sit and look at – our other kids books.

master bath redo 021

Here are AG (above) and JB (below) checking out their books.

     master bath redo 018

 

And here is the last bookcase – this one will be dedicated to  our Good Reads – our living books, the Free-Reads for Ambleside and others we acquire along the way that are just great books!

master bath redo 020

I am just thrilled to have some organization to my books.  I have never had enough room to spread out and have a system!  I am looking forward to knowing where a book should be instead of looking from book case to bookcase or room to room.  Yeah!

1 comment:

  1. We had the exact same experience in the upstairs bathroom in our townhouse in Killeen. Tore off the old wallpaper to find that it was attached right to the drywall. Did some faux finish but didn't even use plaster. Just painted a few layers and then dragged a dry brush over it to hide the divots and called it a day. Now I shudder to think how inexperienced we were at home improvements. Babies, I tell you! I'm not even sure I understood what drywall was at the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...