Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sweet Saturday & a Surprise

I never “love” the weekend that Robert works nights.  I understand it is part of the price we pay for having him home 3 or 4 days a week.  But it is still not fun.

I usually do not want to do much of anything – weekends are when the rest of the world is a family, so who wants to be the mom out with 4 kids on the weekends without Dad? 

So this morning I just wanted to stay home, clean up a bit, and maybe sew.  A laid back Saturday. 

Well, it was anything but laid back!

First, we headed out to the 14th annual Corn Bread Festival – that took abut 20 minutes to tour all the booths and decide we were done.

The best part of this?  Robert suggested giving the kids their commission before going, and having them spend it if they wanted something.  So, when the bounce house was $2 for 5 minutes, or $5 all day, my kids chose to save their money! Go figure!  If it was my money they could spend they would have begged, but since it was theirs, in their pockets – they walked away.  Funny how that works!

Then we headed to the Tomahawk Throw – there were lots of teepees with stuff for sale – fun boy stuff, but we managed to make it out with only 2 new arrowheads – pretty good stuff!

After that we headed home, the kids watched a movie while I headed out to pick up some last minute birthday presents for a sweet little girl!! 

When I got home, we had the biggest surprise of all!!  I asked the boys to let the hens out – to wander – and guess what!!???

april 2010 malakoff life egg 050

 

We found our first egg!!  We are absolutely thrilled!!  Coco laid it – one of our Aracana’s – and what a pretty color!!  We are so proud of our sweet hen!!

After that home to make some cupcakes for her Sunday School class party (another boy in her class has the same birthday!), a cake for the family (pink & white checkerboard), and pizza for supper!  Busy kitchen day!  Then we pulled some weeds, planted some watermelon and marigolds in the garden – pulled more weeds.

Not finished yet, we headed out to a friend’s house nearby – we have been trying to get over there for months, and today we finally made it!  We were able to see their land (over 300 acres), their cows (lots), their mules – and the kids rode around on 4 wheelers.  So much fun!!  I think we have found several new spots to fish and we have been invited to camp anytime we like out there too!  So, the kids are ready to camp and hunt some HOGS very soon!!

So, gingerbread pancakes are in the fridge getting ready for breakfast, presents are about to b wrapped for our princess – and I know tomorrow is going to be a great day to celebrate our little girl’s day!!

I know I have posted these before, but here it is again anyway!

We love these!!  {we doubled it}

Janelle's Wholewheat Gingerbread Pancakes
3 eggs
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 1/2 c flour (I used whole wheat)
1/4 c. coffee (brewed)
1 1/2 c. buttermilk (I used regular and added almost 2 teaspoon vinegar)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cloves
1 Tblsp cinnamon
1 Tblsp ginger
1 tsp nutmeg
I blended the milk, coffee and sugar. Then I added the eggs. I mixed all the dry ingredients together and then added them to the wet and gently mixed. Then I refrigerated it all for about 8 hours - reviews I read said some people let them sit overnight.
That is it. Then we cooked them for supper. The Magnolia Cafe adds sliced bananas on top and I think even some in the mix, but we did not have any yellow ones!

Well, I have presents to wrap!!  Happy Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...